Social work resources
This section provides resources for practice educators and social work students, including downloadable documents, current placements and relevant articles and videos.
The following resources have been made available for practice educators and social work students.
Download: Changing hearts and minds in dementia care (.pdf, 296kb)
Download: Creating dementia friendly environments (.pptx, 2084kb)
Download: Dementia research, Dr Simon Evans (.pdf, 2869kb)
Download: Herefordshire Disability United Network News, Autumn 2017 (.pdf, 2456kb)
Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE)
Health and Care Professions Council
Download: Guidance on social media (.pdf, 233kb)
Social work articles
Download: Luke Davey’s unsuccessful judicial review (.pdf, 528kb)
- 02/10/18 Major increase in use of hospital restraints for learning disability patients branded 'really shameful'
- 26/09/18 'I hid my baby from social services in case they took is away'
- 16/09/18 Councils use 377,000 people's data in efforts to predict child abuse
- 10/09/18 Universal Credit needs reform to unlock families from in-work poverty
- 24/08/18 Tips for supporting transgender foster carers and adopters
- 07/03/2018: The marketisation of social work education: should we be concerned?
- 04/02/2018: How social workers reflect in action and when and why they don't
Department of Health and Social Care
Community Care articles
- 26/10/18 The meaning of evidence based practice in social work
- 24/10/18 Updates on changes to DeprIvation of Liberty and Safeguards (DOLS)
- 06/07/18 Government introduces ‘vehemently opposed’ change to social work practice in working together guidance
- 03/07/18 Government introduces bill to overhaul deprivation of liberty law in bid to save councils £200m
- 02/07/18 Practice leadership needs to be closer to the hard realities of social work practice
- 18/06/18 Why are children treated unequally by social care services?
- 23/05/18 Social worker training on transgender issues is ‘largely deficient’
- 23/05/18 As a social worker, should I keep sharing personal stories with the families I am working with?
- 22/05/18 Most local authorities to train social workers through apprenticeships
- 18/05/18 Social care sector advised to ‘exploit’ relationship with NHS
- 21/03/18 Hunt hints of OFSTED style ratings for adult social care services
- 19/10/17: Landmark ruling finds councils are liable for abuse in foster care
- 16/12/16: Spotting the signs of modern slavery: key advice for social workers
Could you host a student?
Are you a private, independent, voluntary health or social care organisation? You may be able to provide the learning opportunities that student social workers need.